When following the Great War Poland regains independence the hotel continues changing its owners. The facility now offers 60 rooms, yet is not the first-class hotel any more. During World War II it is occupied by the German occupying army and officials. After the war the Hotel is administered by the relatives of its prewar owner, yet it fails to live up to its past glory. There are many private apartments in it. In 1950, with the consolidation of the new, post-war, communist authority, the hotel, along with other hotels in the city, comes under the control of the state. Its role is now more of a hostel and its spacious rooms are filled with bunk beds. In 1970 it closes for 10 years. Extensive renovation follows, bathrooms are built, historic polychromes are uncovered in several rooms alongside gothic walls in the cellars. In July 1988 a famous art gallery opens in the cellars. In 1989 the first casino in postcomunist Poland opens here.